Did You Know?!
In the European Union each year, approximately 20 children (14 years or younger) die from choking on a toy.[Ref:34]
This pebble was inhaled by a young child at a school playground. Because it was partially radiopaque, it can be seen faintly on the xray, blocking the right main bronchus.
The “great outdoors” contains other potential choking hazards. Certain grass heads can become rather dangerous bronchial foreign bodies (because they have a natural “ratcheting” action, which propels them deeper and deeper).[Ref:14][Ref:17][Ref:21]
Cedar twigs and pine needles can also become aerodigestive foreign bodies.