Disc Battery in Esophagus

Extraction Case

Disc batteries are one of the most dangerous choking hazards, because they can burn through the esophagus (in as little as 6 hours) and cause a serious chest infection.

After suspected disc battery ingestion, give the patient honey as soon as possible (then seek urgent medical attention in the closest Emergency Room).

For children under one year of age, please give only PASTEURIZED honey (to avoid the risk of Botulism).

This is what we knew about honey before 2018.[Ref:53]

Radiographically, some disc batteries look exactly like a coin (potentially delaying diagnosis and treatment). In this case, xrays showed the “double ring” sign which most disc batteries make.

Please keep disc batteries out of reach of young children.

New 2018 Links:

Related Links:

Extraction Video

This animated video was originally created to help teach medical students (via CESEI, the Centre of Excellence for Surgical Education and Innovation).

Did You Know?!

A 2013 report stated that, from 2001 to 2009, an average of 12,435 children (14 years old or younger) per year were treated in US Emergency Rooms because of food-related choking.[Ref:1]