Disc Batteries

Foreign Body

Disc batteries can burn through the esophagus in as little as 6 hours and become lethal.

After suspected disc battery ingestion, give the patient honey as soon as possible (then seek urgent medical attention in the closest Emergency Room).

For children under one year of age, please give only PASTEURIZED honey (to avoid the risk of Botulism).

Please keep disc batteries out of reach of toddlers and young children.

Disc batteries may look like a coin on an Xray, but need to be removed much more urgently than a coin.

New 2018 Links:

Related Links:

Did You Know?!

A 2013 report stated that, from 2001 to 2009, an average of 12,435 children (14 years old or younger) per year were treated in US Emergency Rooms because of food-related choking.[Ref:1]