Mini Magnets

Foreign Body

Mini magnets are usually swallowed (and thus they actually are not a true “choking” hazard). The problem is that if two or more mini-magnets are swallowed, they can make loops of intestine “stick” together, choking off the blood supply to the intestinal walls between the magnets, creating holes and a serious abdominal infection. This can also happen if only one mini magnet plus another piece of metal is swallowed.

Did You Know?!

The presence of older siblings in the household increases the risk for choking, possibly because toys and other objects with small parts are more likely to be present and caregiving activities, such as feeding, to be undertaken by older siblings.[Ref:1676]