Pins and Needles

Foreign Body

An open safety pin lodged in the esophagus is very dangerous. This was common in the days of cloth diapers.

Today, thumbtacks are a more common bronchial foreign body; but not as common as headscarf and turban pins, in some Islamic and Sikh countries.

Please see the Thumbtack and Darting Pin extraction cases.

Did You Know?!

The presence of older siblings in the household increases the risk for choking, possibly because toys and other objects with small parts are more likely to be present and caregiving activities, such as feeding, to be undertaken by older siblings.[Ref:1676]