Kinder Surprise Toys

Foreign Body

While crawling at home, a 9-month-old girl put something inside her mouth.

She had some gasping, but no respiratory distress. Her mother rushed her to the Emergency Room.

Radiology revealed a metallic object in her nasopharynx. This foreign body was removed under general anesthesia and found to be a plastic and metal mini-hairclip (ie, a Kinder Surprise toy).

Did You Know?!

A 2013 report stated that, from 2001 to 2009, an average of 12,435 children (14 years old or younger) per year were treated in US Emergency Rooms because of food-related choking.[Ref:375]