Coins

Foreign Body

Coins usually lodge in the esophagus. They are most common aero-digestive foreign body requiring removal under general anaesthesia. If a coin lodges in the larynx, it could be lethal. Coins, disc batteries, buttons, pendants, earrings, loose keys and other small objects should be kept out of reach of toddlers and young children.[Ref:1189]

Did You Know?!

The presence of older siblings in the household increases the risk for choking, possibly because toys and other objects with small parts are more likely to be present and caregiving activities, such as feeding, to be undertaken by older siblings.[Ref:1676]

References