The development of this website and the “Be Smart, Don’t Choke” animated video could not have been possible without the following:
- The University of British Columbia Hampton Fund
- British Columbia’s Children’s Hospital Foundation
- Dr. Keith Riding, Inc.
- Karl Storz Endoscopy Canada Ltd.
- Xomed Medtronic
- UBC Department of Education Affiliated Teachers: Douglas Adler, PhD, Sandra Scott, PhD and Christopher Lam
- Scientific Contributors: Samson M. Nashon, EdD, Douglas Adler, PhD, Drs. Andrew Thamboo, Tram Nguyen, Sarah Coad, Derry Dance, Keith Riding, Neil Chadha, Fred Kozak, Jane Lea, Paul Moxham, Ashley Robinson, Richard Lee, Lauren D. Holinger, Douglas Cochrane and Edith Blondell-Hill; as well as (the late) Sylvan Stool, MD and his son, Daniel Stool (Intertek.com)
- Research Assistants: Tin Jasinovic, Ashley-Rose Caufin and Maryam Noparast
- BC Children’s Hospital ENT Clinic Medical Office Assistants: Nancy Davies and Michelle Poulsen
- BC Children’s Hospital Nurses (Emergency Room, Operating Room and Post-Anaesthesia Care Unit Teams and Patsy Regan, ENT Clinic Nurse
- Special Thanks to the UBC Department of Otolaryngology Residents and BC Children’s Hospital Otolaryngology Fellows who participated in this project
- Centre of Excellence for Simulation Education and Innovation: Dr. Karim Qayumi, Gary Cody, Collette Sands, Albert Ho, Ferooz Sekandarpoor and Tim Grant
Website and Content Contributors
- Animated Video Artists: Nayt Keane and Julia Hilton
- Voice Actors: Dr. Richard Lee; Patrick, Emma and Chris Ludemann; Ava & Ilsa Weinstein-Wright
- Parent Interview: Michael O.’s father and Rob Lyons, Media Productions, BC Children’s Hospital
- Website Designers: Alex Rakic (& previously, Doug Adler, Christopher Lam, Sabrina Luk and Mike Kwan)
- Blue Tree Publishing: for kind permission to use and modify “Overview of Lungs in Body” image
All contributions to this project are deeply appreciated.
The work provided by each translator of dontchoke.ubc.ca is greatly appreciated. Here’s some information about the translators and their schools.
Regarding translations, the flag of the country of origin of each language has been used (as is standard on most websites). The producers of this website have no political affiliations.
Dr. Ludemann is a Clinical Associate Professor of Otolaryngology at the University of British Columbia; and an Attending Surgeon within the Division of Otolaryngology at British Columbia’s Children’s Hospital.
Translation by Josée Lacasse
Technical Editor: Sophie Lachance, MD, FRCSC
Québec City, Canada
Dr. Lachance graduated medical school and otolaryngology – head and neck surgery residency at Laval University in Québec City. Completed a one-year fellowship training program in pediatric otolaryngology at UBC in BC Children’s Hospital.
San Ignacio University Hospital is one of the most important and influential health institutions in Colombia and Latinamerica.
Founded in 1942, it has been home for the School of Medicine of Pontifical Xaverian University in Bogota.
The Division of Otorhinolaryngology and Maxillofacial Surgery depends of the Department of Surgery, providing low, mid and high complexity services in the different areas of the specialty, with emphasis on pediatric otolaryngology and the multidisciplinary airway clinic.
The Hospital Estadual de Sumaré (HES) is part of the hospital complex of the State University of Campinas (UNICAMP), a public university fully supported by the State of São Paulo with access to private and public research funds. Although a young university, founded in 1966 it is highly ranked amongst the youngest universities in the world.
The residents and fellows of the Otolaryngology Department of UNICAMP participate in surgical activities at the HES where pediatric airway procedures are a main part of the surgical program carried out by the otolaryngology team.
Simplified Chinese (簡體中文)
Translation by Dr. Xiaoya Wang (Sunny)
Associate Chief Physician, ENT Department
Guangzhou Women and Children's Medical Center
Translation by Talal Alkhatib, MD, MSc, MHPEd, FRCSC
Assistant Professor and Chairman
Department of Otolaryngology-Head Neck Surgery
Faculty of Medicine
King Abdulaziz University
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
King Abdulaziz University carries the name of the establisher of Saudi Arabia – God bless him. This university was established in 1387 H / 1967 G.
The university witnessed much development in quality and quantity since it was established until it becomes one of the distinguished universities in terms of the number of students, the number of scientific and theoretical fields of study and the exclusiveness of certain specializations such as Seas Sciences, Geology, Nuclear Engineering, Medical Engineering, Meteorology and Aviation and Mineralization.
King Abdulaziz University is Considered a pioneer in offering higher education to the Saudi girl and the female and male sections were inaugurated in the same year. The University not only has the regular students program but it also has the external program to make it easy for all students to get higher education. It also established the Deanship of Distant Teaching to cope with the development in learning and teaching technology.
Translation by Yonden Sherpa